Society of Professional Journalists named The Hatchet a finalist yesterday in six categories for the Region II Mark of Excellence Awards.
The Hatchet will find out this month the places each submission received. Any first place submissions will move on to the Society of Professional Journalist’s national competition where all 12 of the nation’s SPJ regions will compete.
The awards are arguably the most coveted awards in collegiate journalism.
Below are our award-winners:
- Best All-Around Non-Daily Student Newspaper: – The Hatchet Staff
- Editorial writing: A dire need for sexual assault education; Make hazing details less hazy; An administration marked by silence – The Hatchet Editorial Board
- Best affiliated website – The Hatchet Staff
- Online sports reporting: Baltimore Grand Prix – by Gabriella Demczuk
- General news photography: GoTopless Day – by Michelle Rattinger
- Feature photography: Local flower shop closes after 32 years – by Chris Gregory
Region II includes D.C., Maryland, Virginia, Delaware and North Carolina.