Society of Professional Journalists named The GW Hatchet the best non-daily newspaper in Region II for the Mark of Excellence Awards this weekend, where the paper picked up four additional first place awards.
The first place submissions will move on to the Society of Professional Journalists’ national competition where all 12 of the nation’s SPJ regions will compete. You can view the full list of award-winners on the Society of Professional Journalists website.
The awards are arguably the most coveted awards in collegiate journalism.
Below are our award-winners:
- Best All-Around Non-Daily Student Newspaper: First place – The Hatchet Staff
- Editorial writing: A dire need for sexual assault education; Make hazing details less hazy; An administration marked by silence; First place – The Hatchet Editorial Board
- Best affiliated website; First place – The Hatchet Staff
- Online sports reporting: Baltimore Grand Prix; Third place – by Gabriella Demczuk
- General news photography: GoTopless Day; First place – by Michelle Rattinger
- Feature photography: Local flower shop closes after 32 years; First place – by Chris Gregory
Region II includes D.C., Maryland, Virginia, Delaware and North Carolina.