Beyond the Books

Your Guide to student life

Sunday, March 22, 2009 2:27 a.m.

South By It Is Going To Be So Weird Not Hearing Music Everywhere

It’s over. We have South By fatigue and too much Sparks in our stomachs. Real wrap-up and full articles coming soon.

Curveland – Sounded like Coheed & Cambria from the outside of the venue AND they were playing a Sparks party. As far as I am concerned this makes them awesome.

Gentlemen Jesse And His Men
-Cool tat:

I will never be this cool.

I will never be this cool.

The Beattards – I had previously called them generic rap with a slow jam. But they were from D.C. and pretty cool dudes. Still not worth seeing. Really nice guys though.

I do not think I can stress enough the fact that they were nice.

Bang Camaro – This band is everything that is gnarly about “rock music.” Their music is exclusively huge guitar solos and 6+ dudes on gang vocals.

Cory Branan – Singers with guitars always remind me of so many O.A.R. opening acts and college freshmen. I was wrong. Lucero was right when they wrote this song, referencing Branan.

got an evil streak.

Sick Dave cover bro.

AIDS Wolf – Way less asinine in person. But still what one would expect from a band called AIDS Wolf.

Not pictured: the singer who was able to shove 90% of the microphone in her mouth while shrieking

Not pictured: the singer who was able to shove 90% of the microphone in her mouth while shrieking.

Special Thanks – Could have been Avril Lavigne covers in Japanese.

Sk8r boy may not translate actually

Sk8rboi may not translate actually.

Scroobius Pip – Apparently dan le sac said he couldn’t make it to the show because he got “hoofed by a goat as revenge for his role in the Pac killing.” Simultaneously an annoying Strange Famous artist and really fun.

The Village People? JUST A BAND!

Scroobius Pip

Buck 65 – Started the set with a Devo beat under his song (video below) and then proceeded to rap for forty minutes straight off an iTunes playlist. And apparently he dances.

A.