Beyond the Books

Your Guide to student life

Wednesday, Feb. 10, 2010 9:01 p.m.

Hundreds of students prevail in ‘epic’ snowball fight

by admin

This post was written by Hatchet Reporter Elliot Zarrabi.

A long-time rivalry was settled in the snow Wednesday – more than 200 GW students put on their winter gear and claimed victory against Georgetown in what participants are calling an “epic” snowball fight.

The fight, which was born Tuesday afternoon on Twitter after senior Kyle Boyer suggested it, drew around 225 GW students and roughly 75 Georgetown students. GW claimed victory after about 30 minutes, and University President Steven Knapp – who joined in the battle – capped the win by declaring school to be canceled for Thursday, marking the fourth straight weekday without classes.

At the start of the fight, the severely outnumbered Georgetown crew immediately retreated over a fence and onto private property. It was here the majority of the fight took place, as GW students hopped the fence for close-range combat. The relatively quick victory was greeted with a strong dose of school spirit, with the fight song being chanted several times before, during and after the battle.

When the team reconvened at Kogan Plaza after the win, Boyer gave a supplemental victory speech.

“Anyone who says GW has no spirit, tell them to get to Kogan Plaza right now,” Boyer said.

• Gtown Student

I will admit we lost…but that fence was not on to private property. Considering that there was the park’s water fountain there, and the rest of the park was on the other side, this is blatantly false. Good effort to make us look like we don’t abide by the law, when it was your students who screamed things like “Follow them back to campus and break their windows!”

• Pingback: GW v. GU Snowdown Media Wrapup -FoBoBlo

• Pingback: George Washington v. Georgetown “Snowdome of Doom” Ends in GW Victory - City Desk - Washington City Paper

• GWU Student

Nobody’s accusing you of being a criminal – hell we followed you – so don’t be a sore loser.

• Andrew Mooers

Neat snow storm coverage!