Recent Posts in Courtside
After finishing 10-3 in non-conference play, the Colonials have lost half of their 16 A-10 games thus far, and seven of their last nine since a win over Duquesne on Jan. 24. The same problems GW faced at Davidson permeate throughout their losses.
In an effort to change the culture and grow a little good luck for the team, head coach Gregg Ritchie’s no-shave policy seems it will stay in effect for a while. In a weather-shortened weekend series, GW won a pair of games at home against Niagara to improve to 4-1 on the season.
Photos by Dan Rich | Hatchet Photographer
- A slow start, a winning streak and a ranking on the road to a championship March 2, 2015Following the only home loss of the season, the Colonials went on a 19-game winning streak that saw them climb into the national rankings, set records and all but ensure the fulfillment of head coach Jonathan Tsipis’ goal.
- Running with the Bull: A pitcher settles in on the mound March 2, 2015Bobby LeWarne, a 6-foot-1, 190 pound right-handed pitcher in his third year at GW, didn’t have his best stuff against Niagara on Friday afternoon.
- On the road with GW's only hockey team February 26, 2015Over the course of the day, serious commitment and competition balanced the haphazard planning and goofy squad.
- After quiet freshman year, Cranshaw proves herself in starting lineup February 23, 2015Playing basketball at GW isn’t the first time Shannon Cranshaw has found her place with a tight-knit group.
- Savage alone not enough to improve GW's bench production February 23, 2015In a 56-48 loss at Richmond on Saturday, the Colonials' reserves outscored Richmond’s 20-17, behind 18 points from Kethan Savage, the first time in 11 games that GW’s bench outscored an opponent.
- College basketball, like GW, experiences drop in scoring February 17, 2015Smarter defense, less adept shooters and officiating changes have all contributed to a growing trend of low scoring in NCAA Division I men’s basketball.
- Defensive slide has Lonergan considering lineup changes February 17, 2015Juniors Joe McDonald, Kethan Savage, Patricio Garino, Kevin Larsen and senior John Kopriva have started all 25 of GW’s games this season, but that could change as early as Wednesday.
- Young but determined, baseball sets sights on Omaha February 12, 2015GW’s opening game against NJIT on Saturday marks the beginning of a season with less to instill and more to mold, teach and do. Here’s a look at the pieces and how they’re coming together.
- No. 24 women's basketball earns season sweep of Dayton February 9, 2015The Colonials, which had trailed for a total of two seconds in their previous game, erased a Dayton lead with a three from Jonquel Jones that sparked an 11-point run on the way to a 67-56 win at the Smith Center, the team’s 19th straight.
- With new look, baseball prepares for season of higher expectations February 9, 2015Head coach Gregg Ritchie had a fairly strict clean-shave rule during his first two seasons with the Colonials. But after slow starts plagued the team both years, he decided to loosen things up.