Courtside

Your Guide to GW sports

Thursday, Feb. 2, 2012 7:08 p.m.

University honors members of Athletic Academic Dean’s List

Women's basketball senior guard Tiana Meyers, center, is honored along with other Colonial student-athletes for her academic achievement during the halftime of Wednesday's game against Xavier in the Smith Center. Francis Rivera | Assistant Photo Editor

During halftime at the men’s basketball game against Xavier Wednesday night, student-athletes who made the Athletic Academic Dean’s List during the spring 2011 and fall 2011 semesters were honored for achieving a GPA of 3.0 or higher.

Two hundred and thirty-two student-athletes were named to the list from spring 2011, while 256 earned the honors from the fall semester. Additionally, 16 Colonials were recognized for earning a perfect 4.0 GPA.

“A major goal of the athletics and recreation department is to provide our student-athletes with the opportunity to achieve at the highest possible academic level,” Director of Athletics and Recreation Patrick Nero said. “To see so many of our student-athletes recognized on the dean’s list is a testament to the caliber of student-athlete that we have at GW, and a credit to the work done by [Associate Athletic Director for Educational Support Services] Karen Ercole and her staff.”

Additionally, women’s studies professor Dr. Bonnie Morris was honored as the student-athletes’ choice for professor of the year. The Colonials submitted nominations for a professor who makes valuable contributions to their academic success, and the field was narrowed to five finalists. GW student-athletes voted to select Morris, who has taught at the University for 14 years, as this year’s honoree.

“It’s a tremendous honor to be identified by my student-athletes as their choice for Professor of the Year,” Dr. Morris said. “Every one of my faculty colleagues at GW is an outstanding and dedicated teacher. The many student-athletes who I’ve taught over the years here are all-stars in my book, as they balance coursework and competitive athletic performance. I’m a huge fan of our program, and I’m proud to help create a positive and supportive atmosphere for all GW students.”