The Colonials’ 67-50 loss at Dayton in the first round of the A-10 tournament Tuesday night wasn’t how David Pellom wanted his season to end, but the defeat solidified an accomplishment for the junior forward– setting the new single-season shooting record at GW.
Recent Posts in Courtside
Behind nine three-pointers and a devastating 64.3 percent second-half clip from the field, that all changed with a commanding 84–66 victory over GW at the Smith Center, in a contest both teams needed to win in order to assert themselves as one of the best programs in the league.
Anyone who has seen men’s basketball head coach Mike Lonergan react to a basketball game knows he’s not exactly a “don’t sweat the small stuff” kind of guy.
Men’s basketball and its fans may still be basking in the glory of a 72–69 win against conference rival VCU (17-6, 9-1 A-10) last weekend, GW’s first ever at the Siegel Center, but the Colonials’ tough Atlantic 10 stretch continues Wednesday night.
- Frustration rouses women's basketball's defense after streak ends February 11, 2016For the third season in a row, women’s basketball has hit the 20-win threshold and has entered February with big hopes for the postseason.
- At the Armory, track runs into history February 8, 2016When GW came to New York this weekend, they came to New York for the first time.
- How GW's backcourt helped halt the (slightly different) Havoc February 8, 2016VCU didn’t press as aggressively as they have in the past and the Colonials’ ball-handlers were better prepared to withstand the pressure in a 72-69 win.
- Lonergan to team: 'Look in the mirror and seize this opportunity' February 3, 2016The Colonials have gone 2-2 in their last four games and all four have been close, and head coach Mike Lonergan is looking for sharper focus.
- Loss to Richmond exposes growing defensive deficiencies February 1, 2016Midway through league play, GW’s once-tenacious three-point defense seems to have lost some of its luster.
- Thinking long-term, tennis' Diana Kussainova begins spring season among nation's best February 1, 2016Tied with 10 others at No. 114, Diana Kussainova is the first women’s tennis player to be ranked since 1993.
- Prange, Washington step up in Jones’ absence January 28, 2016An injury to Jones is GW’s nightmare scenario yet, somehow, it’s one the team is built to withstand.
- Defense earns Cummings bigger role with women's basketball January 24, 2016Sophomore guard Brianna Cummings single-handedly took over a game at Illinois by scoring 14 second-half points.
- McDonald's return cues team effort for men's basketball January 24, 2016Most important. Glue guy. Call Joe McDonald whatever you'd like. Look no further than GW’s win over Rhode Island Friday for the evidence.
- High-pace Chase: How Lauren Chase defines women's basketball's speed January 21, 2016You may not know it, but Lauren Chase is the leader of the team and the heartbeat for the Colonials on both sides of the court because of the pace she allows the team to play at.