Courtside

Your Guide to GW sports

Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2012 3:18 p.m.

Colonial Invasion to move off campus

Then- junior guard Lasan Kromah dougies off the court during last year’s Colonial Invasion. | Hatchet File Photo

Updated Sept. 11, 3:24 p.m.

Colonial Invasion, the annual kickoff of the basketball season, will for the first time move off campus this year to the Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall in Fort Myer, Va.

Sports information director Brian Sereno said that the University plans to bus students from campus to Fort Myer Oct. 12.

In the past, the celebration has featured campus performance groups as well as introductions of both sports teams, and has functioned as a featured event for GW Parents Weekend.

Billed as a continuation of the University’s efforts to support the military, Colonial Invasion will be held  at Fort Myer’s Conmy Hall, where the men’s basketball program competed from 1956-75.

“It will be our true honor to conduct this annual event at Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall,” athletic director Patrick Nero said in a release. ”The men and women who serve our country are our heroes, and at George Washington we want to continue to show our admiration and respect for our servicemen, servicewomen, veterans and their families. This is a way for us to bring this fun event to them, while paying homage to our history at Fort Myer as well.”

While on its Italian tour, the men’s basketball program traveled to two military bases to compete against the teams there, composed of American servicemen.

• LoyalColonial

Huh? Dumbest idea ever – nice way to discourage fan support and remove a great event from campus! Really, really dumb idea.

• GDubber

Nice – spend $43 million to renovate GW’s on-campus arena and then move special events like this off-campus. Stupid move by the university.

• Alum

This event usually has okay turn-out, why would we move it off campus which will decrease student attendance?
    Why would we move it to a location that isn’t metro-accessible?
    Why do we want to spend tuition money on buses when it could be used to improve faculty reserch opportunities, or bolster student financial aid?

GW is a campus that lacks tradition and school spirit events; I hope the University reconsiders the decision to move one of the few events that engages students in our athletic programs back to campus.

• James

If we can’t get student’s to go to major games on the vern, are we really going to get students to bus to VA?