Recent Posts in Courtside
Despite a strong GW start, No. 14 VCU (17-3, 7-0 Atlantic 10) would shoot 48.6 percent from the field in the second half to go on to secure a dominant 72-48 win over the Colonials (16-5, 6-2) Tuesday night in Richmond.
Women’s basketball junior Jonquel Jones was named Atlantic 10 Player of the Week for the fourth consecutive time and sixth this season, the league announced Monday.
The Colonials roll into Richmond hot off their fourth consecutive win and having won 10 of their last 11, to take on No. 14 and unanimous preseason Atlantic 10 favorite VCU in the first of two meetings this season between the DMV area squads.
- Colonials exploit two-three zone, showcase outside shooting ability January 26, 2015But in their 73-59 victory over Duquesne on Saturday, the Colonials were able to sink 12 three-pointers and go 50 percent from beyond the arc on the day, despite hitting just six or fewer in 18 of 20 games so far this season.
- The Jorgensen dichotomy January 26, 2015It was May 2013, and a lesser-known high school junior with shaggy blond hair and devastating dribbling skills was taking it to a group of New York City’s finest high school ballers on a court at 145th Street and Lenox Avenue.
- In difficult weekend, squash cements progress over last year January 26, 2015Women’s squash split Homecoming Weekend with a win over Columbia and a loss to Yale while the men lost 8-1 against both teams, but both men and women are positioned to finish the season ranked higher than last season.
- A maverick bunch of runners, on a mission to build a track program January 22, 2015In their first year as a team, the upstart group has found a home at the Georgetown community track, a couple miles north of Foggy Bottom.
- Women's basketball making case for first NCAA tournament appearance in seven years January 20, 2015Coming off four straight wins by a double-digit margin and riding a 14-game winning streak, this year’s team looks like a contender for a conference championship, which yields an automatic bid, or an at-large selection from the tournament committee come March.
- Colonial Army doubles enlistment in two years, with one key addition on the court January 20, 2015The organization now boasts more than 3,500 students who attend both varsity and club sporting events, but are best known for flocking to the Smith Center, cardboard fatheads of players' faces in tow, for basketball games.
- GW's win streak proves team can do it all January 12, 2015The expectations for this team were high, bolstered by the league’s best frontcourt. But the Colonials look ready to exceed them, and not just because of their one-two punch up front and noteworthy +15.2 rebounding margin.
- Even in off year, Atlantic 10 still a multi-bid league January 12, 2015Did the A-10 peak last year? Now that non-conference play has concluded, the league has laid the groundwork for how conference wins will be perceived nationally. The conference doesn’t look like it will match last season’s strength come March, but it should still hang in there with a handful of bids.
- A-10 Preview: Women's basketball begins league play fighting for top spot January 10, 2015With a 6-foot-5 freshman averaging 11.4 points per game, a veteran guard returning to the floor from a costly injury and a 16.9 rebounding margin (second-best in the NCAA), GW has some new weapons in its arsenal to build on an 11-5 conference record last season. But with GW, and others, vying for the top spot, where will everyone fit?
- A-10 Preview: Men's basketball begins conference play as league looks to get rolling January 5, 2015For the Colonials and for the A-10 as a whole, there are still unanswered questions as the league begins its expanded 18-game schedule. Here’s what to expect from each team GW will face in conference play