Courtside

Your Guide to GW sports

Friday, Feb. 22, 2013 12:06 p.m.

Bryan Bynes to miss rest of season with right leg injury

Senior guard Bryan Bynes holds onto the ball before passing to junior forward Nemanja Mikic at Boston earlier this season. Hatchet file photo by Elizabeth Traynor

Updated 1:38 p.m.

Senior guard Bryan Bynes will miss the rest of the season after fracturing his right tibial plateau against Fordham Wednesday night.

Bynes sat for the entire second half of the game, after scoring five points in 10 minutes in the first half of play. An MRI on Thursday revealed the extent of the injury.

Bynes’ injury further depletes the Colonials’ offensive rotation, which already lost senior forward David Pellom this season. It also forces freshman guard Joe McDonald to shoulder much of the load at the point guard position, with only senior guard Lasan Kromah and freshman guard Kethan Savage as backups. It’s a significant loss for a team that has struggled with ball control and against heavy pressure this season, impacting its ability to establish a solid offensive presence.

“This is really an unfortunate situation for Bryan, and is not the way our coaches and teammates wanted his senior season to end,” head coach Mike Lonergan said in a release. ”Bryan had really stepped up his contributions in Atlantic 10 play, and now we’re going to need other players to step up in his place to help us reach our goal of playing for the A-10 championship in Brooklyn next month.”

Over A-10 action, Bynes averaged 5.6 points per game and a 2.0 assist-to-turnover ratio. This likely marks the end of Bynes’ career as a Colonial, as the senior does not have extra eligibility. As a junior, he was briefly sidelined with a left shoulder injury, but returned after missing two games to compete throughout the rest of the season.

The loss of Bynes also means that another veteran player will be relegated to GW’s bench for the rest of the season. As he suits up a relatively young team, Lonergan has often called for his upperclassmen to step up as leaders on and off the court. Bynes’ injury subtracts another veteran, along with Pellom, from the Colonial roster.

• ben

sorry to hear this, a good player and a good kid. wishing him all the best

• Chris

Does Bynes have a year of eligibility left? Or is this the end of his GW career?

• Duhhhh

Chris- did you not read the article? It clearly states “This likely marks the end of Bynes’ career as a Colonial, as the senior does not have extra eligibility” -duhhhhhhhh

• GW hoops

So unfortunate for Bynes. Wish him the best. However, Mike Lonergan is a very arrogant and stubborn coach. He does not allow his players to play their game hence is why the team is struggling. He has done nothing but disrespected the upperclassmen. He does not play the upperclassmen significant minutes yet he wants them to shoulder the responsibility whenever they lose. He rarely ever gives credit to guys like L Kromah or D Smith. Longeran only gives kudos to his recruits. There is no way that Kromah is second on the team in scoring and has had a solid career at GW but he is not starting or getting significant minutes. Lonergan your coaching approach stinks!!! Your favortism will at best keep GW as a mediocre program.