Courtside

Your Guide to GW sports

Thursday, Aug. 1, 2013 1:45 p.m.

Tony Taylor to play in Poland

Tony Taylor, CBE
After spending the last few months competing in the NBA Summer League, former Colonials point guard Tony Taylor will head to a small town in southwestern Poland to play professional basketball.

Taylor announced the news on his Twitter account Thursday that he will play the 2013-14 season for PGE Turow Zgorzelec, a professional team in Poland. According to eurobasket.com, Taylor is expected to be in PGE Turow Zgorzelec’s starting five at the point guard position.

This summer, Taylor competed with the summer league teams of both the Oklahoma City Thunder and Miami Heat. With Oklahoma City, Taylor averaged 6.0 points per game while dishing 2.7 assists per game. With the Heat, Taylor put up very similar numbers, averaging 5.9 points per game with 2.0 assists per game.

This will be Taylor’s second season of professional basketball, previously playing last year with the Tulsa 66ers in the NBA Development League. In 55 games he compiled 7.4 points per game, 1.7 rebounds per game and 3.4 assists per game. At season’s end, he earned USBasket.com D-League All-Rookie 3rd Team honors.

Last season, PGE Turow Zgorlegec emerged as the Polish League Regular Season runner-up, falling to Stelmet Zielona Gora in the championship game.

• Class of 2012

Sad day to see Two-Tone go overseas. I think his choices in Summer League teams could have been better (I mean why pick good teams with decent point guards… vs a bad team with no point guard), but maybe he’ll have a shot at making the bigs down the road. From 2008-2012, Tony was my GW PG. Always will be. Can only hope the best for him, but would love to see him return stateside soon.