Courtside

Your Guide to GW sports

Tuesday, Jan. 21, 2014 10:04 a.m.

Kethan Savage out with left foot fracture, will miss 6-8 weeks

Sophomore guard Kethan Savage will be out six-to-eight weeks with a left foot fracture, the men’s basketball team announced Tuesday, dealing the Colonials a big blow in their surprising season.

After initially being listed as day-to-day with a left ankle sprain, further evaluation revealed that Savage had actually sustained a fracture to the fifth metatarsal in his left foot.

Savage’s injury, sustained in the final minutes of GW’s 79-71 victory over St. Bonaventure, will likely have him out for the rest of the Atlantic 10 regular season.

“It’s disappointing for Kethan to have this happen in the middle of his breakout sophomore season,” head coach Mike Lonergan said in a press release. “But as a team we’ve dealt with injuries before and have emerged stronger as a unit.”

Kethan Savage goes up for a dunk against VCU in GW's upset win last Tuesday. Cameron Lancaster | Assistant Photo Editor

Kethan Savage goes up for a dunk against VCU in GW’s upset win last Tuesday. Cameron Lancaster | Assistant Photo Editor

Before his injury, Savage was the second-leading scorer for the Colonials, averaging 13.4 points per game. Savage also led GW in total steals (36), and was second in total assists (49) and total blocks (12).

Without Savage on the floor, expect Lonergan to insert sophomore Patricio Garino, who has recently come back from an injury of his own, into the starting lineup. Since his return, Garino has arguably been the team’s best player, but has remained on the bench to add a mid-game scoring spark and keep team chemistry intact.

Also expect freshman guard Nick Griffin, who is averaging just 4.3 minutes per game, to see increased playing time in the backcourt.

“We’ll look forward to his return to action, but I have every bit of confidence that we’ll overcome Kethan’s absence. In the meantime, this is a great opportunity for all his teammates to step up at this time.  That is a mark of a great team.  We are all very excited for the rest of the season ahead,” Lonergan said.

GW returns to the court Saturday when they will travel to face George Mason at 12 p.m.

• Sam

Definitely a set back for the team, especially when we have a brutal schedule in mid-February that will include UMass, St. Louis and going to VCU. But as the article said this will give the bench guys solid playing time to get better. Hope Kethan has a speedy recovery!

• GDubber

The Colonials are a TEAM and will be fine, but get well soon Kethan!