Sunday, Aug. 23, 2009 8:04 p.m.

Woman arrested in Ivory Tower

Metropolitan Police Department officers arrested a woman Sunday evening after a student accused her of entering a room in Ivory Tower and stealing a wallet.

Sophomore Lindsey Henry was taking a nap in a friend’s room in Ivory Tower residence hall when she woke up to an unknown woman standing by her friend’s desk.

“We said ‘Excuse me, can I help you?’ She told us she was helping move someone in,” said Henry. “We asked her to leave.”

Later, Henry’s friend realized a wallet had been stolen from the room and called the University Police Department to report the incident. Henry later helped identify the woman and she was taken into custody by UPD officers.

“It was kind of unreal,” Henry said. “It’s one of those things where I am more in shock than anything else, waking up to someone in the room.”

Another student at the scene of the arrest, who requested anonymity, said he had a computer, wallet and sunglasses stolen from his Ivory Tower room on Saturday.

University Police Chief Dolores Stafford was not immediately available for comment. UPD and MPD officers on the scene declined to comment.

Update, 5:07 p.m., Aug. 24

There have been 12 burglaries reported in residence halls since Aug. 12, according to a GW Infomail. UPD said it is launching an investigation to determine if the incidents are connected.

• Drudge

Was this the lady who always hung out in the basement of Ivory and always looked dirty and occasionally asks students if she can borrow their phone?

• Michael Wilhelm

The person was arrested by the University Police Department and transported by the Metropolitan Police Department. The GW cop who made the arrest, then responded to the 2nd District Police Station and processed the prisoner.

I do not understand why The Hatchet gets this wrong 80% of the time. Just because the prisoner is transported in a police vehicle other than a UPD one, doesn’t mean that UPD didn’t make the arrest.

• ?

Probably because its more likely a UPD officer would handcuff themselves instead of the actual suspect.

• Michael Wilhelm

Haha! You probably have no idea that UPD’s employment and training standards are 100x that of MPD’s. I’ve been on both sides of the fence and speak from experience.

• Michael Wilhelm

You probably have no idea that UPD’s training and employment standards are 100x higher than MPD’s. I’ve been on both sides of the fence, so I speak from experience.

• At the scene

UPD arrived first at the scene and made the arrest. They handled the situation with professionalism. They interrogated her for a long period of time before handing her over to MPD for processing. According to the MPD officer on the scene she is a UPD prisoner and MPD did not take part in the investigation. She put up a fight and would not get in the car, etc. The half a dozen UPD officers on the scene acted with professionalism and showed courtesy and respect to those who were affected by the situation.

• Carol Gerard

As a parent, I noticed that there is too much access to Ivory Tower. When we moved our son on Summer resident moving day, August 18, we noticed students were way to free about holding doors for others. Furthermore, the handicapped interior doors stay open way too long, and legitimate students can easily be followed in. In my opinion, and as a parent, UPD should have a Security Guard stationed at all times in the Ivory Tower lobby.
    Students should also take care to lock rooms with the key upon exiting. It is unfortunate that these doors don’t lock automatically, as in other doors.

• Pingback: Woman observed in Schenley arrested under suspicion of possessing stolen property - Newsroom Blog - The GW Hatchet