Wednesday, April 7, 2010 2:35 a.m.

Woman dies after being struck by car

Family members say Anh-Dao Xuan Hyunh died Tuesday afternoon after being struck by a large SUV on Washington Circle. Above, Trinh Hyunh, the deceased's sister, mourns Wednesday morning at a makeshift vigil near where her sister was killed. Viktors Dindzans/photo editor

Updated at 2:20 p.m.

A 25-year-old Embassy Suites employee died Tuesday afternoon after being struck by a large SUV on the southeast side of Washington Circle, family members and a city police said Wednesday.

The victim’s family believes Anh-dao Xuan Huynh was walking to the Foggy Bottom Metro station when the vehicle struck her. Huynh’s sister, Lihn Graham, said a representative from the Metropolitan Police Department told family members Huynh died Tuesday at 2:13 p.m. after she stopped breathing. She was hit by the vehicle between 11 a.m. and noon, according to eyewitnesses.

Metropolitan Police Department Officer Kenny Bryson said his office is compiling a report about the accident and expects the report to be released later today. Bryson said as of Wednesday afternoon he knew of no charges being filed against the alleged driver of the SUV.

“The vehicle stayed on scene, it was not a hit and run,” Bryson said.

Metropolitan Police Department Officer Hugh Carew initially said Tuesday afternoon that the victim was being treated for “non-fatal injuries.” Hyunh’s family, however, said they were told Huynh was dead upon or soon after arrival.

Bryson said the department was told Huynh was “in very bad shape,” but that she was alive when transported to the hospital.

Family members gathered at Washington Circle Tuesday night to remember Huynh with candles, balloons and prayer. Staying until past 1:30 a.m., family members remembered the young woman who brought “joy, love and happiness” into their hearts.

“I can’t live anymore, I’ve lost my soul,” the deceased’s youngest sister Trinh Huynh said. “She wasn’t only my sister, she was my best friend. She understood me better than anyone else in the world.”

Trinh Huynh, 20, said the deceased lived in D.C. and wanted to be a nurse. GW Hospital Communications Manager Heather Oldham and University spokeswoman Michelle Sherrard said Wednesday that Huynh was neither an employee nor a student at the University or at GW Hospital.

Huynh’s brother-in-law Keith Graham, 37, said police have the name of the driver of the SUV. He added Huynh was a “sweet spirit” who touched all who knew her.

“She had a personality that attracted everyone,” Graham said. “I worked with her at a hotel years ago and we still have guests come in an ask about her.”

Michelle King, a friend of the family, said she is outraged at the city of D.C. for not painting or providing sidewalks through Washington Circle.

“The city should have done something to make this area safer a long time ago,” King said. “I wouldn’t be surprised if Anh wasn’t the first person who died here.”

Part of Washington Circle was closed Tuesday afternoon after the collision. Senior Larissa Pardo said Tuesday afternoon she was on her way to work around 11 a.m. when she witnessed the incident, which she said involved a green SUV.

“I thought it was a car hitting a trash can, and I looked over and I saw the back tires roll over this woman’s body,” she said. “She didn’t scream or anything, it was just me and this other woman started screaming and I called 911, but the hospital was right there. They just loaded her up on a stretcher.”

In a 2009 report, the D.C. Department of Transportation wrote the District “has a higher rate of pedestrian traffic fatalities (adjusted by population) than many cities nationwide including Chicago, New York and Los Angeles.”

Of the 600 average traffic collisions in D.C. per year, about 20 deaths occur each year, with pedestrian deaths reaching a 10-year high in 2007 with 24 deaths.

Matt Rist and Sarah Scire contributed to this report.

• Cheryl Gunn

Washington circle has been deadly for decades. I walked through this circle back in the 70′s and it was just as congested. Time for the public to demand improvement. It is a matter of life and death.

• Kyle

I saw this happen while walking to my class. Happened right at 11am, not around noon, I was walking to my 11:10 from my off campus apartment. The girl was jay walking, she just walked right into traffic. The SUV Driver didn’t have a chance to avoid her at all, she just walked right into the circle. Get the facts right Hatchet before making it seem like the SUV Driver was just driving by at 50 mph or that the lack of crosswalks were to blame – there was one 20 feet away from where she started to jaywalk.

• merlin miranda

omg annie you did touch every1 heart.. me and my family will miss u… u wur the luv of ma brother.. n u wuz lyk famillii n u will amways b.. gos bless u.. annie

• KJ

Really Hatchet, she died because she stopped breathing? I’m really sorry for the family, but I hope that this is a wake up call for all of the jaywalkers. Don’t risk your LIFE just because you don’t want to go 50 feet out of your way to go to a cross walk or wait 50 seconds for the signal. Not only that, but as long as the driver wasn’t negligent that hits you and stays on the scene you will be CHARGED with negligence. That means all of the costs will fall on you. Don’t even think about a lawsuit.

• Jose Sorto

Annie, you meant alot to us. You were an amazing person, and if the circumstances were different, you wouldve been my sister in law. But that’s not the case. But you’re in a Better place now. And I will miss you. My family will miss you, as my sister Merlin has already stated. We will always remember you. And we will all pay our respects in due time. Gone, but never forgotten. R.I.P. Annie Huyhn

• Jake Sourivong

Annie, somewhere along this path of life, we lost connection. It’s sad & you will definately be missed. I’m glad I had the chance to be close to you & your family at one time. This is real shocking to hear. Just a month ago I was in D.C. thinking about your family and have always wanted a chance again to reconnect. Now all I can think about are the memories we’ve all have had and constant flashbacks. A mental picture of your contagious smile & laughter is all I see now. I still remember alot of the things you enjoyed and still consider that summer as one of the best in my life. I can only wish the best for your family and god willing, provide them strength at this moment. My prayers and thoughts go out, May you REST IN PEACE. No longer do you have to suffer like the rest of us.

• Jane L.

Hey asshole Kyle. Pedestrians have the right of way. And she was crossing where the crosswalk USED to be. If you look closely the lines are still there. Yes there is another crosswalk 20 feet away and that leads to the other side. Get your facts straight before you disrespect the dead. If he wasn’t going 50 miles an hour she wouldn’t be dead.

• LadyRoxofStaunton

Little Annie will truly be missed! She was one precious little angel. She was such a “people person” and loved everyone. She was always trying to make peace or create peace wherever she was!

I wore the VICTORIANA purple and green bracelet you gave me..FOR THIS PAST EASTER SUNDAY.the most beautiful ever. Such a well rounded person. Gaining your American Citizenship, then off to med schooling(no, not at that hospital and such), Tech School, I believe. So proud you kept your grades up, while working full time at the hotel, too.

Loving your doggies, your friends, family, and your boyfriend and his family…always loving people and endeavoring to BETTER yourself and encourage those around you!

Annie, short power lady….I am sure he could not see you..I am short too, and people don’t see us well..like motorcycles…

I am sad you had to go this way, as I feel it had to be painful, so much you could not even scream or cry out or talk.

I know you did not suffer long, as I read it happened around 11am and you went on to be with the LORD in HEAVEN at 2pm….

You ARE an inspiration to us all, alive and even in death…May you have no tear days in Heaven as the Bible says.

WE will meet again………on that Beautiful Shore………bye and bye…

I will keep making my tea in that beautiful Vietnamese Teacup with lid..with the birdie on it…….so lovely…and it reminds me of you……..

All my love…into Eternity….Roxy

• Friend of Victim

Really Kyle’s and KJ’s?. The person is dead !!!! whether the circumstances, the area always busy with people walking, the driver should slow down the speed and pay attention to the road, instead talking on the phone, that were the law been made.
    For KJ”s you must be out of your mind to think about of law suit,SHAME ON YOU !!!! are you relate to the driver?., why said such a mean words. Wait till it will get to you. Let just pray for Annie’s.

Annie’s we love you, our heart goes to your family, may rest in peace.

• Adam

annie was a great person, and She was loved by many. I remember great times with her. She was a good friend that people loved. I will pray for you and your family, and you are in a better place. and for kyle why do you have to be so coldhearted, show some respect. and if you don’t have anything nice to say, keep it to yourself. put yourself in her familys shoes, with that said… R.I.P. Annie, you will be missed..

• Adam

• Raven C

I can’t believe this had to happen lik this! Annie was a Very beautiful; outgoing ; talented women. Her Little Sister (Trinh) Was One Of My Close Friends (Best Friend) & I Hate That There Family Haves To Go Threw All This Pain And Hurt ; But I Know That Y’all Will Stay Strong & Get Threw It . I Will Be Prayinq For Y’all . . . . I Will Never Forget You Annie R.I.P I know Ull Be Watching Over The Family . . .

• KJ please grow up

Kj if you was really sorry for the family you wouldn’t say such harsh comments. Someone died. Period. I don’t think you would say such harsh words if this happen to someone in your family. Maybe you are just a kid and you need to grow up. If so I will pray for you because you need it.

When you are driving you should be giving full attention to the road. This driver killed someone. He/she will have to live with this for the rest of their life.

For everyone that is reading this please pay attention of your surrondings when you are driving! There is absolutly no excuse for the driver to hit this girl. I pray that the family can forgive him!

KJ if something happens to your family please don’t forget the foolish comments you made.

• vienqt

KJ if you was really sorry for the family you wouldn’t say such harsh comments. SOMEONE DIED. PERIOD!!! I don’t think you would say such harsh words if this happened to someone in your family. Maybe you are just a kid and you need to grow up. If so, I will pray for you because you need it.

When you are driving you should give full attention to the road. This driver killed someone. He/she will have to live with this for the rest of their life.

For everyone that is reading this please pay attention to your surroundings when you are driving. There is absolutely no excuse for this driver to hit and kill this girl. I pray that the family can forgive him/her.

• ashley

Kyle are you serious about what you said about Anh.Maybe u need to stay in school an extra 10 years cause everyone knows predestrians have the right of way. She was my best friend for over 15 years and she didn’t deserve to die like that. He had to be going over 50mph to cause injuries like that. I went to that roundabout to put flowers there for her and I almost got hit and I was in the crosswalk and had the light. If I was to get hit what would your excuse be then.

• Toni M

Kyle & or KJ;
    Since you are obviously not a Washingtonian, let me enlighten you on a few things. First, aggressive driving in DC has been a huge problem since the majority of jobs are filled by MD and VA residence who commute to DC via car daily, causing the enormous gridlock. They also scoff at the 25 miles per hour speed limit which is throughout DC except in certain locations, which are designated. They believe they are the only ones with rights on the road and they act accordingly. I have had my share of horns at light/cross walks where I’ve had the right of way via proper flashing signal. They speed (anything in DC over 25 is speeding period!), fail constantly to give right of way and will bless you with everything but your given name without provocation. DC govt. put out pedestrian crossing signs (yellow & white) in the center of the streets in cross walks and the like to remind drivers of the right of way of pedestrians and even these signs get clobbered to the point of removal because they are damaged so as to cause cuts and scrapes to the pedestrians trying to get by them in traffic.
    Drivers fail to realize that driving is a privileged, not a right and pedestrians have the right of way, not privileged of way and should be respected. The road is not a place for a caste system (pedestrians poor/drivers privileged)so stop acting as such.

• Quimeka

RIP Annie..i didnt know you very well, but i did know you was a very smart and sweet person..may god be with your family and friends in this time of grieving

• Castro

She was indeed a good person who did not deserve to Die this way. Lovin and always full of Joy. Not a day went by that we did not see that beautiful smile of urs. Anh you will always be in our hearts and mind. Rest in Peace. :*(

• bianca miranda

look kyle & kj idont know who u r but one she was not jay walking so u guys can please be quite and show some respectfor the decesed oplease stop being so disrespectful u dont know her u didint know how wonderful she is she was the nicest person u would ever find she was loved by everyone. she was my sister in law.ok so show some respect would u we will miss u we luv u very much u will be in our hearts everywhere we go u will be with us.
    my family misses u. we all miss u.
    Rest. In. Peace. que dios te bendiga.
    & im very sorry for anhs family her momo and sisters and also her brothers and family and friends.i send u my condolenced.

• Just my two cents

I am a student at the same school where Annie attended, and we had our graduation yesterday, which was dedicated to her. I had no idea she had passed away and in fact, didn’t know her at all, though I may have seen her at school once or twice.

My heart breaks for her family and friends, but it was a joy to see her sister walk in her place yesterday. I pray Annie is in a better place, and that the rest of us can carry out her dream of helping others through healthcare.

As for the nature of her death, who’s to blame isn’t really the issue here. This should be about celebrating her and remembering her. However, I do feel that pedestrians in DC take a great risk everyday when crossing crosswalks. I don’t know if Annie crossed properly or not, but if the driver had been abiding by traffic laws, she’d still be here.

We’ve all got to be more careful, drivers and pedestrians alike.

• maria sorto

Annie it was so nice to meet you when we were in high school i remember the pajama day at school with a nice pig pajama we both were happy i still have the picture…it is sad to find out about a year now that you gone..so sad..but i will smile more for you because you used to smile all the time..you were very unique person…R.I.P