Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2011 5:47 p.m.

Evans campaign hosts reelection kickoff

Ward 2 D.C. Council member Jack Evans was first elected to the body in 1991 and is running for reelection unopposed. Cécile Schilis-Gallego | Hatchet photographer

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Jacqueline Drayer.

Ward 2 D.C. councilmember Jack Evans kicked off his reelection campaign with a public meet-and-greet Monday evening at his Logan’s Circle headquarters.

The 57-year-old, running unopposed to tack on another term to his 20-year career on the council, spent the evening circulating from constituent to constituent to chat.

Evans’ camp raised about $233,000 as of Oct. 11. Running on a platform of his track record, Evans said his top priority is to continue progress made under his leadership of Ward 2, which includes Foggy Bottom, the West End, Georgetown and Dupont Circle.

“We’ve seen a change in every aspect of the city and created a downtown that didn’t exist,” Evans said, adding that the neighborhood was previously underdeveloped and known for prostitution.

Fiona Greig, who launched a bid for the seat in October, dropped out of the raceciting an “intimidation campaign” from Evans’ team.

Evans deferred questions regarding Greig’s allegations to campaign consultant Tom Lindenfeld. Lindenfeld said her claims were “totally made up.”

The primary election is April 3 and the general election is scheduled for Nov. 6.

• anon

I can imagine the intimidation charges are true. Evans can raise a lot of money and is a shrewd politician, but he’s also got a very nasty mean streak to him. He’s incredibly rude at council meetings (to the public and his fellow councilmembers), and he could not care less about diversity or the poor in Ward 2.

• Artie

it is called opposition research. grief thought this was play time. politics is a contact sport and her whining and crying on her way out of the race showed she was not up for the job.