Thursday, Feb. 9, 2012 1:20 a.m.

GW Catholics admonish new federal contraceptive policy

GW Catholics

Member of GW Catholics Chris Crawford speaks out against The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act provision that requires religious institutions to provide contraceptives to their employees. Elise Apelian | Hatchet Staff Photographer

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Justin Pennish. 
Students spoke out Wednesday night against a federal health care policy that will require faith-based institutions to provide insurance coverage for contraception and abortifacients, claiming that the law infringes upon religious liberties and violates Constitutional rights.

The Department of Health and Human Services announced last month that beginning August 2013, the health insurance offered by all secular and religious institutions and hospitals to their employees must cover birth control. The mandate comes in conjunction with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010.

“To mandate for faith organizations to buy contraceptives is not moral,” GW Catholics Director of Pro-Life Ministry Chris Crawford said.

Members of GW Catholics argued that the government overreached its authority, and speculated that religiously-affiliated organizations may drop their private health insurance entirely rather than comply with the new policy.

“If, for example, a Catholic hospital decides to drop health insurance for their workers, you’re going to have thousands of workers that now don’t have health insurance, or they’re going to have to enter the private market,” Crawford said.

The students advocated for others to contact their members of Congress. An online petition against the policy garnered 27,000 signatures nationwide since Jan. 28.

“This isn’t a culture war, its a question of constitutionality. It’s important that we seize this right now and keep the momentum going,” Crawford said.

• Garrett

Separately, I find it counterproductive that champions of the pro-life cause, would oppose birth control. The proliferation of birth control is the one way to ensure abortion rates go down.

• Lisa

Garrett, not when the birth control can be an abortifacient (look it up), and it violates the Catholic Church’s 2,000 year old moral code. Abortifacients are abortions, and on top of that, it’s not about birth control, or abortion. It’s about the government saying that they think people’s (nonexistant) constitutional right to contraception, sterilization, and abortifacients, is greater than people’s (existant) right to freedom of religion.

• PW

“religiously-affiliated organizations may drop their private health insurance entirely rather than comply with the new policy.”

Thank you for sharing your interesting concept of the moral high road – just deprive all your employees of health insurance. Sounds like a great organization to work for.

• patty burke

It’s a lie, perpetrated by pharmaceutical companies, that access to birth control helps keep abortion rates go down. Look at the statistics. Planned Parenthood is thrilled to hand out birth control pills because they know sooner or later the customers will be back for some time of abortion.

• patty burke

*type – be it RU486…the morning after pill or medical/surgical abortion