Sunday, Feb. 26, 2012 6:27 p.m.

Server outage takes out Internet, GWorld across campus

A handful of dining venues experienced temporary GWorld outages for more than 12 hours today due to a server problem in South Hall. | Hatchet File Photo

A simultaneous Internet and GWorld outage hit areas of campus early this morning and continued for more than 12 hours.

The Division of Information Technology and Facilities Management worked since about 2 a.m. Sunday to resolve a power outage in South Hall that caused in-house network equipment and servers to go down, knocking out Internet, telephone and cable TV access in the residence hall, interior GWorld readers at Lafayette Hall and network services in neighboring buildings.

GWorld issues were also reported, affecting Colonial Cash deposits, debit parking, vending, laundry and off-campus vendors from The Avenue complex to Ivory Tower. GWorld services were restored Sunday at 3:45 p.m., Rachel Blevins, marketing and communications manager for the Division of Information Technology, said.

To mitigate the impact of the outage, IT administrators contacted various departments, including the University Police Department to resolve building access issues related to the GWorld outage.

Electricians worked with with external vendors to repair the equipment in South Hall and restored GWorld operations by switching to a backup server, Blevins said.

Michael Walker, a support analyst in the Division of Information Technology, said he received an alert from administrators at about 5 a.m. and the server outage was resolved at 4:45 p.m. He said he could not provide details of its cause due to “a security issue.”

Though he said it was not a common occurrence, Walker did not expect such an outage to happen again.

“We have certain things in place for this not to happen,” he said.

• Academic Technolgies is Corrupt

Whose idea was it to replace the good dell pcs with the “WYSE” crap computers in GELMAN basement and other places? They are super slow with poor graphics and they are just not practical in the current state of technology. How much money did this person responsible personally take from the WYSE company to force this sudden and surprising replacement. GWU is technologically lacking and now it is even more so with this downgrade. Bring the real Dell PCs back!!!!!!!

• Alex

What else are we supposed to do on Sundays except browse the Internet? This outage was outrageous and forced me to find other things to do.

• BM

Pathetic. Grow a pair.

• South

Honest question: have you seriously ever written one positive thing about this team? Ever?

• Sam

Winning tonight would be huge. Definitely a tough opponent but I think we should embrace the underdog perception. Even if we play our best it will still be a tight game because VCU is very good but conference games are naturally going to be close. That being said, really hoping we can get the win tonight and prove to everyone that we’re not joke.

• Robert Paulsen

mcdonald had 11 turnovers in 13 games as the primary ball handler. why does every hatchet writer feel the need to constantly trash this team. sorry, but hating the basketball team isn’t cool anymore.

• gw alum

EAT CROW and stop trying to be such a hipster. You would have done yourself credit to at least support your own basketball team. No one rewards cowards or those who are not loyal. Good luck getting a real job