Monday, March 5, 2012 4:34 p.m.

Ann Coulter blasts SMPA director for biased moderating

Conservative pundit Ann Coulter debated MSNBC host Lawrence O'Donnell at Lisner Auditorium Sunday in an event hosted by student organizations like the College Democrats and the College Republicans. Zachary Krahmer | Hatchet Staff Photographer

Updated at 11:58 p.m.

Tension from Sunday night’s political pundit debate has not yet eased up.

Right-leaning political commentator Ann Coulter, who was brought to campus to spar off against MSNBC host Lawrence O’Donnell at Sunday’s debate, is lambasting the evening’s host for treating her like “a crazy broad,” the Washington Examiner reported Monday.

Coulter skewered School of Media and Public Affairs Director Frank Sesno for attacking her responses at the debate.

After asking her a question about the U.S. intervention in Syria, Sesno brushed off her answer responding, “I have no idea what you just said.”

She scoffed back, “You must not be very bright if you don’t understand.”

The debate was hosted by campus organizations including the College Republicans and College Democrats.

After the event, public relations chair for the College Republicans, Chris Wassman, also called out Sesno for biased moderating.

“If the moderator is getting applause, that says a lot of things,” Wassman said after the event. “He was obviously not fair.”

When asked about his reaction to Coulter’s answer, Sesno said, “I did seek to clarify Ann Coulter’s prior comment and no offense was meant.”

Sesno added that his role as moderator was to “help guide and clarify the discussion.”

• anon

Isn’t it Ann Coulter’s fault for being so stupid and ignorant though?

• C’mon!

Look, when a moderator gets an answer to a question that 1) doesn’t have anything to do with his question and 2) is more a long tirade than a legitimate response to anything said up to that point, he has a right to get a little indignant. If O’Donnell had done anything near as nutty, Sesno would have jumped on him, too. In fact, while this was never reported by Coulter or the lamestream conservative-media elite, Sesno did call out and challenge O’Donnell on multiple occasions. This is just another in a long line of whines by the persecuted upper class white Republican man that Coulter defends so fervently.

• Mark Wilson

Oh yes! By most accounts Ms. Coulter was handed her hat. She showed her anemic derriere fairly well. However, she was at a disadvantage as the venue was a bunch of liberal, socialistic, middle class bleeding hearts. HAH!

• Allan Johnson

Sesno is notorious for pulling this crap. I went to an interview he did with Tony Snow a few years back and he turned it in to a debate about the Iraq war. He missed the an opportunity to ask better questions and got bogged down in talking points. Frankly, Sesno is an emvarassment to SMPA.

• James Crosby

This is the woman who championed that women should not have the right to vote and that people under 26 not have the right to vote ;eventhough, her warmongerring colleagues are lusting to send 18 year olds to war. this is also the woman who said at cpac that she is more than happy for women to have less pay as long as the (old racist rich white) men spend money on her. There is an old saying that is apropro: It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. Apparently Coulter did not get the memo.

• GW Bro

“Blasts.” God I hate that word so much… so overused in political writing.

• GW Student

Coulter doesn’t think women should be allowed to vote because then Republicans would have won every election.

Following that logic, does she also think black people should not be allowed to vote?

• Joe Simmons

I think it highly unlikely that any of you have anywhere near the intellectual capacity of Anne Coulter. Her Cornell and Michigan degrees are a bit more impressive than the one you may possibly get. It hardly speaks well of your analytical capabilities when you defend the biased moderator on the basis that you do not agree with Coulter’s opinions.

• captainapathy

Is the DEA still investigating Skyler?