Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:58 a.m.

UPD passes accreditation test by outside agency

UPD, university police

The University Police Department was awarded a seal of approval Wednesday from the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies. Hatchet File Photo

The University Police Department earned a stamp of approval from a top outside accrediting agency Wednesday, rounding out an approval process that has lasted the academic year.

The Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies awarded its third consecutive accreditation to UPD, which was judged on about 480 different standards, including training, personnel, hiring practices and use-of-force policies.

CALEA representatives elicited mostly positive feedback from the community in a sparsely attended forum in December. Two assessors also spent three days on campus that month and reviewed the UPD’s records from the past three years.

The international body first judged UPD in 2006 and re-accredited it three years later.

About 80 other campus security branches around the country are also involved in the CALEA certification program. UPD and the U.S. Capitol Police are the only District police departments with the certification.

• Michael Wilhelm

Your article contains some misleading information. GWUPD is an ACCREDITED LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY, and although it may be one of 80 Campus/University Law Enforcement Agencies that are ACCREDITED LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES you refer to it as “Campus Security Branches.” Perhaps you weren’t aware, however CALEA also has an “ACCREDITED CAMPUS SECURITY AGENCY” program, which UPD is not a part of, since UPD is a Law Enforcement Agency, and not a Security Element, without government issued authority (i.e. power of arrest, power of search and seizure). It may sound small, however it is a HUGE DIFFERENCE.