Tuesday, March 5, 2013 12:54 a.m.

Ron Paul: Push change ‘any way you can’

Three-time presidential candidate Ron Paul pushed students looking to break into politics to find an issue they are passionate about and disregard party tradition to create innovation solutions. Sara Wagner | Hatchet Photographer

This post is written by Hatchet staff writer Allison Kowalski

Three-time presidential candidate Ron Paul called on political leaders to ignore traditional party platforms to find lasting policy solutions.

The former Republican congressman and self-described libertarian told the packed Lisner Auditorium crowd that crossing party lines was crucial to steering the country in a new direction.

“Right now if you agree that we have to have a change, then change it any way you can, because it’s your attitudes, your minds who are going to have to pay for it and deal with the consequences,” Paul said.

Stressing a largely hands-off government, Paul also called out the federal government for distorting the truth to shape public opinion.

To demonstrate what he called a lack of transparency, Paul tested the audience’s perception of their public officials.

“How many people here in this room, when you see a pronouncement from a high official in Washington, know that you can depend it’s the truth?” Paul asked.

The crowd remained still, with just one or two hands that slowly climbed into the air. At least one person booed from the back of the audience. Looking into the audience, Paul said: “That’s what the problem is.”

The crowd’s biggest reaction of the night came after the former Texas lawmaker answered a question about gay marriage laws.

“I think people should do what they want,” Paul said said to a burst of applause.

GW College Republicans chairwoman Sinead Casey said a key reason for inviting Paul to speak was his disregard for political partisanship.

“He contributed to a part of the conversation that needs to be happening in America right now. He’s a big name who went above the political partisanship, and he sets a good tone for the direction the party should be heading in,” Casey said.

• martian wombat

Ron Paul has been a voice of reason for decades now.However,the average American voter doesn’t have the guts to vote for real and lasting change.When push comes to shove,short sighted self interest wins.Bless you Ron Paul,but you will always be just a voice crying out in the wilderness.

• Don

Ron Paul is the last hope of the white race.

• Steven

Ron Paul was the greatest American president we never had.

• Bobby

Ron Paul IS my president.

• Martin

Don says:
    March 5, 2013 at 5:24 am

What ?

As Ron Paul is a true Libertarian and always talks about the rights of the individual as opposed to the group think that causes discrimination by group, I don’t know why you brought race into it.

Unless it was to try and smear Ron Paul via inuendo

• shout it out

@don: Ron Paul is the only hope for the United States and I hope to see a lot more of him on his terms. Love, love that man; it is walking Truth!

• Horace

Ron Paul gives me hope for humanity. If he could make his way into and through Congress, and come out the way he came in, then perhaps more of us can. Let’s do this people! Let’s remove the corruption from our government (note: it won’t be easy as it goes all the way up to our corporatist president Obama).

• ugh

I am so sick of all this Ron Paul bull. Dude is whacko, and those who believe in his “do whatever you want” ideals are unrealistic. His speeches are targeted at a very young, naive audience. bleck.

• Johnnyappleseed

Some of these comments are obviously fake….

• Gregory Weinstein

Johnnyappleseed says:

“Some of these comments are obviously fake….”

Google ‘The Ron Paul Political Report Special Issue On Racial Terrorism.’ 8 PAGES of the most sickening racism. Then search youtube for ‘Don Black Ron Paul’ to hear the Neonazi owner of Stormfront claim, at risk of alienating members of his $50,000+ per year enterprise Stormfront, that Ron Paul’s policies ‘coincide with’ theirs. The only fake comments here are the one’s claiming Ron Paul is anything other than a white nationalist scumbag. The administration of GWU should hang their head in shame for allowing a crypto-Nazi onto their campus.

• Mitch

I’m what the media would call an “African-American” and I’m proud to say Ron Paul’s message is on point.

“Truth is treason in an empire of lies”

• Bradley Mowell

Greg,

Before I volunteered for Paul’s most recent campaign, I researched the Stormfront and newsletter issues. My conclusion?

After listening to speeches that Paul has been giving – practically from the onset of his political career – about the cruel inequity that exists in the justice system that unfairly penalizes minorities, I’d say that anyone who promotes the idea that he is a racist is merely trying to distract people from the great deal of truth contained in his voting record and message.

• Bradley Mowell

Greg,

Also, I’ve seen Paul in person. The picture at the top of the article is not representative of what he looks like.

• Anonymous

Gregory Weinstein says:

“Blah blah blah”.

Ron Paul didn’t write those newsletters. This is fact. He can’t be held accountable for statements made by racist fucktards based on what they thought was his work (it wasn’t).

Seriously… you people are like fundamentalist religious nutjobs with your persistent and willful ignorance.

• Jon Goldman

There’s a reason Ron Paul is frequently maligned and attacked by old establishment media and even Internet trolls; he speaks the truth and is a threat to the corrupt establishment.

The media is also used by the establishment to elect their corrupt politicians that will do their bidding by promoting them to the public. However, the freedom of information on the Internet is changing this control of elections and thanks to Ron Paul more people than ever are waking up to the pervasive corruption within our government and both major political parties.

Ron Paul is a true patriot!

• Gregory Weinstein

The author of the highly informative book “Ron Paul: The Most Dangerous Nazi in America,” which chronicles Ron Paul’s ties to white nationalism back to the 1970′s, has been sending copies of his book to universities and colleges across the country. It’s unfortunate GWU administrators did not receive their copy on time.In a few months the reprobate Ron Paul will not be allowed to set foot on a single campus anywhere in the US.
    “Ron Paul is a David Duke without the armband”- Former NYC Mayor Ed Koch

• greg

yes you have to be careful of party hi-jackers ..intent on redirecting the liberty platform.true liberty is ..TRUEJUSTICE.

• ALT FEED

The continued threats against Ron Paul, the accusations, and the use of racial fearmongering, are proof that liberty is spreading. The looters, pillagers, plunderers and warmongers are shaking in their boots.

They know that this is the era during which people are completely obsessed with race, and Ron Paul happens to be white, so that’ll be used. If he was a different person, there would be another tactic, with the same intent – to discredit and assassinate.

Liberty is winning. This is evidenced by the ferocity of the attacks against liberty minded people. The characterizations. The political movements. Government is afraid of your awakening!

• jessethebuilder

Racists like Ron Paul because he published some of the most racist newsletters ever written, in an effort to recruit as many backwards and racists people as possible, and he sure did succeed.

Now, I know that the most dim-witted among you, well bray about how Ron Paul didn’t write them, but he did far worse: he PUBLISHED them.

Anyone can write a racist newsletter, but it takes money and a plan to publish them.