Thursday, July 4, 2013 2:10 p.m.

GW to pull students out of Egypt after Morsi’s fall

Millions of Egyptians have taken to the streets to demand Mohamed Morsi to step down as president. With Morsi out and Egypt in a state of flux, GW is moving to pull seven students out of the country. Photo by Gigi Ibrahim and used under the Wikimedia Commons license

Updated on July 6 at 12:15 p.m.

GW is moving to pull seven students out of Egypt after the country fell into further political upheaval.

The move comes after the U.S. State Department ordered Americans living in Egypt to evacuate, with the country now in a state of flux and without a constitution after the military ousted democratically elected Mohamed Morsi.

“Arrangements are underway for the students to depart,” Laura Ochs, associate director of the Office of Study Abroad, said in an email Thursday.

Students from University of Michigan and University of California at Davis, as well as U.S. Fulbright scholars have also been ordered to evacuate.

The move mirrors GW’s responses to previous incidents of international turbulence. The University evacuated about a dozen students from Egypt during the Arab Spring in 2011, as did other colleges. Safety concerns were heightened last week after an American student from Kenyon College was stabbed and killed during a protest.

“The university’s top priority is to ensure the safety and well-being of our students. Consistent with this, we have recommended that the four GW students in Egypt leave, and we have  arranged transportation via commercial flights for any student who wants to be evacuated,” GW spokeswoman Candace Smith said in an email.

Morsi faced resistance from millions of Egyptians because of the heavy influence of Islamists in his administration and a failure to turn around the country’s economy. Before the Egyptian military deposed of Morsi, Ochs said Tuesday that GW was waiting to “determine the best course of action for each student.”

At least one student, junior Anum Malik, has had a front-row seat to the protests as she defied orders to stay away from Tahrir Square and Morsi’s presidential palace.

Mary Ellen McIntire and Jeremy Diamond contributed to this report. 

This article was updated July 6, 2013 to reflect the following: 

Seven GW students are studying in Egypt, not six, as was previously reported. An Office of Study Abroad official had previously stated that only six were in the country. 

• Student

This student named Anum Malik is doing a horrible job representing GW students. Being told to leave a country where the military is fighting at least a third of the country, is the last battle at Hogwarts? Delusional!

• Jack

@Student,

You’re insane. Morsi is a reprehensible pile of scum, the military is giving the non-insane civilian population a fighting chance to take their nation back from the slimy hands of The Muslim Brotherhood and other corrupt theocrats.

Thanks to the military and this new uprising, Egypt has a real chance to not become another Saudi Arabia.

So yes, fighting back an insane Islamic dictator totally warrants citizens to celebrate as if they’re in Hogwarts. All of this is happening around the 4th of July no less, it’s totally magical!

• Student

@Jack – You should pay more attention the world going on around you.

I’m not on any side. I was just pointing out that it is a factually wrong comparison.

This isn’t about what anyone thinks of Morsi, but what really happened. He was elected by a majority of the people, but he was only a figurehead. The Mubarek regime/military stayed in power. They refused to work with Morsi, and blocked anything he tried. The only way Morsi could govern the country was to bypass the corrupt bureaucrats, and no policies enacted by Morsi were that radical. The military refused to work with Morsi, not the other way around. This is a fact, but many media outlets have been reporting the opposite as true.

What happened was the military didn’t want the Muslim Brotherhood governing, so they refused to let them. After they tried to govern anyway on a small piecemeal basis, the military led a coup. They started arresting and killing Muslim Brotherhood Party members, attempting to destroy any remnants of their power. But, like them or not, a very sizable portion of the Egyptian population supports them.

This is going to come back and bite the military and America in the ass. The Muslim Brotherhood isn’t going away; they are just coming back more radical. This coup was not good for democracy in Egypt.

Just because someone is Muslim, doesn’t mean “they are an insane Islamic dictator.” That’s what this coup is really about. The US didn’t want some religious Muslim governing a key Middle East country, so they sabotaged him (remember: the US government controls the real government of Egypt).

• PersonofFaith

@Jack

Do you only consider secular people part of the “non-insane civilian population,” or is it only Muslims who are crazy when they’re religious?

You do have a point that it may be crazy to believe in God, but to single out specifically Muslims is bigoted.

• Political Alumnus

This is making the country look more like Saudi Arabia-a dictatorship backed by America. Americans may not like the policies other country’s adopt, but do we want to be symbolism of democracy or imperialism? Are we really making the world a better place by trying to force countries to do our will? It is as if because something is in America’s interest, that is a justification within itself, when what is really in America’s interest is a more a complicated matter.

• Obamanation

Jack is right. The Egyptian military should be kicking some Muslim a__. It is a messed-up religion. No other religion has Jihad. Secular dictators only, thank you very much.

• Anon

This anti-Muslim bigotry should be removed. It is ons thing to make a political point, it is another to hate on a whole religion.
    By not removing “Jack’s” post, the GW Hatchet is showing their anti-Muslim views. Also, the way the Egyptian stories are written is twisted. There are a lot of Muslims who go to GW; you should be more respectful.

• Alexis

General Al-Sisi is King Fahd’s right hand man. In fact, he served as Egyptian Attache in Saudi Arabia under Mubarak. The Kingdom is absolutely tickled at this result because they retain their influence over Egypt.

Whatever Morsi’s faults, he was democratically elected. You have to let the democratic process play out. Look how long it took the United States to conslidate as a country. You can’t expect things to get better over night.

• tom culver

the students should leave because the university has a responsibility to keep them safe. On another note some of our students are international students and they feel strongly about being there. I for one, hope that the USA stops giving handouts to the egyptian military, they are a bunch of african beggars. and they set a bad example for the rest of the egyptians, if you want free money just protect israel. the egyptian military is a puppet of israel. they are nothing but african beggars. they should all be charged with treason and put in jail for life and commn egyptians should be allowed to torture them just as they have done to the masses for so long.

• Pingback: yallaaaaaaa… back to the Middle East! « Into the Land of the Unknown