The Forum

Commentary

Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:50 a.m.

Blair Gardner: Learning to teach, online

Blair Gardner, a junior majoring in information technology, explains why GW’s Graduate School of Education and Human Development should take inspiration from University of Southern California’s MAT@USC program.

“It is clearly time to consider new options for educating, training and preparing future teachers. This country needs to employ a new generation of learners, wherever they are. The teacher shortage coupled with the current economic crisis makes a great case for the possibilities of an online degree program, especially for those of us entirely new to teaching.”

• A Friend

blairbear why you always be hustling??

• tom

Back in 1995, in a rather passionate discussion with a few science teachers in a tier 1 research university, this exact subject, of online education of teachers or even course content, excited vehement debate over lunch. It will be a significant component of future education, so let’s do it well.

• Jonathan Stevens

Please do not be mislead. A Masters degree and a Teaching Credential are different. One does not necessarily lead to the other and having a stand alone MA does not qualify one to teach, at least in California public schools. An educational program that leads to the Ca. Preliminary Credential can not be taken online. The “hands on” component (student teaching) must be completed before you can apply for your preliminary credential unless you are in a sanctioned Intern program or already credentialed.

• Blair

This is true, Jonathan. The program also includes a student placement program that places students into schools close to where they live to allow them in class experience. Counselors guide each student through their state specific certification process.